Sunday, August 8, 2010

Day 14 - Blogger Challenge

Still going STRONG.

Day 14 — A non-fictional book
Again, I'm not sure exactly what this means. I am going to assume that I am supposed to tell you about a non-fiction book. Hmmmm, I can tell you about A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Solider. Actually I am feeling pretty lazy right now. So, instead I think I'll copy what other people say about it... Sorry?

I found this review particularly correct, from my perspective. Overall the book has a little more then 4 out of 5 stars on Amazon.com-with over 500 reviews. 98% of users who visited the page bought the book, both numbers pretty impressive.

Review by Bossy Dinasour: A Long Way Gone was a remarkable book. The narration is divided into three parts--before the war, being a soldier, and learning to become human again. The LL Cool J and Run DMC references surprised me because it showed just how far-reaching music (and media) can be. Sadly, the opposite is not true: little media attention was (is) given to the plight of child soldiers around the world. I hope this book will start the conversation.

I was struck, and almost disturbed, by the matter-of-fact tone Beah used to describe the atrocities he committed, but his overall linguistic elegance made the descriptions of his travels and the reflections on his life uplifting by the end. How he was able to "rehabilitate" himself after living that surreal life demonstrates his strong sense of self. The book ends somewhat suddenly, but then, Beah's life story is still unfolding at age 26. This is a stark, but beautiful, narrative.

No comments:

Post a Comment