Sunday, October 17, 2010

Diversity

I had a little arrogance to me on Friday, and inside I do know it. I am having trouble with a specific person at my school that I think is hindering student achievement. Someone I have these beliefs about and can not seem to shake them. Well, in my head it came to a bad point on Friday when I was rude and short with them. I feel pretty bad about it.

I have done some reflection and these are a few conclusions I have come to:
1. When you already have an opinion that someone "sucks" or "is bad at their job" you really only look for the things that they do poorly at their job
2. Then when you see these things you jump on them, overreacting a lot
3. When I say "you do these things" I really mean I do. And I need to change that.


So now I have this situation that I need to rectify. A few things I have learned in the past that help me get through things:
1. Spend 5 minutes face time with the person you are having trouble with -everyday. Then you will get to know them and what makes the tick the way they do
2. Try to highlight the things you are doing in a frame that includes them - meaning, include the person in the idea to make them think that they should have some impact/investment
3. Apologize when you need to


I struggle with this a lot with this particular person. And sometimes I just want to write it off because most likely I will not be here next year or at least in this role. But then I think "CAITLIN STOP! You have got to get these kids through this year, and having everyone on your team can only enhance that." I know the second is correct. I should not write anyone off. I should try to work with everyone.

Blah, looks like I'll be doing steps 1-3 starting tomorrow. Sometimes I wish I didn't have a conscience or any awareness.

No comments:

Post a Comment