Monday, May 10, 2010

The season is over!

I know it's been a LONG time since I posted. I apologize, let's move on.

I coached softball this year (assistant) and the season (and players) were drastically different then what basketball season was like. It made me truly think about how I am going to manage basketball next year and some changes I will have to make almost immediately.

The racial difference between basketball and softball is drastic. Basketball, predominantly black, has a few white students that play each year. Softball (and baseball) on the other hand is completely white, or was at least until this year. I told my baskeball players that they had to participate in an off season sport (so either track or softball). We were joined with 3 black students on the softball team a week later.

This played no significant impact on the season, but was just an observation I had about the Delta thus far. Most softball teams that we played were either completely white or had one or two black students on them. Even in the case of schools that were 75+ percent black, the students that were white were the only people playing softball. I found this to be true at almost all baseball games I attended as well. An interesting thing to observe in my opinion.

Anyway, softball is over (it was a short season) and it was a great experience. I had a lot of fun with the girls, coach, and learning about the sport (since it is definitely not one of my top sports!). Lots of interesting things and strategies that I never knew even after playing it for a good five or so years.

No comments:

Post a Comment