Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Book Fair!

I am so impressed. When I was in high school I think I checked out ONE book for personal reading the entire time I was there. ONE book...mostly because the librarian could have EATEN me, she was not my biggest fan. (Which I of course took in stride and mocked her in our senior skit. Maturity.)

At C, we are making huge strides though, I feel everyday. Kids compete to check books out of our library. We had over 50 students take online reading tests to reach over 1,000,000 words each. To give you an idea: the second book of the Twilight series is worth around 100,000 words (and that's a thick book). Our librarian has done an excellent job of getting a library full of different genres, lengths, and levels of difficulty. This has really led to some great things for the school and for the classroom.

I am happy to say I had 14 out of 35 students reach their goals this year regarding words. Now that might not seem like a lot, but from the beginning I can say it is a great thing. On top of that, out of the 40 students I have had this year - 39 out of 40 students have taken a test and passed on at least one book....a GREAT accomplishment in my opinion. That means that every single student (the 1 out of 40 that didn't pass did try) has picked up a book or some type of reading outside of class and attempted to achieve.

What a great feeling! Pats on the back to all literacy teachers and the librarian! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment