Thursday, August 27, 2009

Success!

We've been primed to celebrate our successes here in TFA so I am giong to do JUST that! Today I felt was a HUGE success!! My students were excited about the lesson, they were excited about participating, and hopefully they will, as a result, retain this information in the next few months (or further).

We started reading "A Narrative of the Captivity and Restoration of Mrs. Mary Rowlandson," the last few days. Now, I know that this is considered a boring read by many but also one of those "classics" everyone should know. I disagree strongly, it is one of my favorite readings. Kind of weird, if you know the story, but whatever, I like it. We learned about purpose today and the three reasons why authors write (inform, persuade, and entertain). I stole a powerpoint off of our resource hub that was meant for 3rd graders. Even though that is obviously a lot younger then y students, I thought that the message was good and easy to understand...and I was right! The students loved the powerpoint, and as a result worked a lot harder in the guided practice and eventually the independent practice.

The lesson I truly learned today is that you have to hook them right away and keep a good flow going. We had four different activities that we did today and as a result we were always moving and always talking things out. This really helped the students go from defining to identifying to applying (for all my Bloom's lovers out there!). I feel good about today!

No comments:

Post a Comment