Friday, January 21, 2011

Vent Vent Vent Vent Vent

Do not proceed, just let me write to myself for this one, allright?

Man I am too frustrated right now. I feel like a lot of people are checking out on their responsibilities. For the last few weeks, talking to TFA people has been both draining and frustrating. Everyone, first years and second years, have been complaining about how they don't know how their going to finish, how they are going to survive, how this place can exist. I get it. It's a hard place to live in. Blah blah blah.

I am over it. I am over people checking out in any way. Not finishing commitments, not attending student events, not going to professional development to improve themselves, not doing ANYTHING.

I guess my bigger frustration all boils down to this: we signed up for this program. We signed up for this program for the kids. It doesn't matter if you had a bad day, get over it. They are kids. They are supposed to be frustrating and ill mannered and immature. That's the point. That's why we're here everyday. To teach them those skills and to teach them how to educate themselves. Why can't we remember that when we get frustrated?

Now, I know I sound like I am on my high horse. I get it, knock me down a few pegs, right? But here's my argument. Yah, I have bad days. Yah, sometimes I call in sick because I just can't do it that day. But you know the reason I get up the next day? Because I got 12 text messages from students asking me where I was. I got a facebook message. And when I came back, they all asked "where you be at yesterday," "why you not here teachin me Miss," and "you don't get to take days off with out my permission, Miss."

My point is this -- they notice. They care. They watch closely. They expect you to walk away and check out. That's why they push. But really, what they want to see is you push back. You to ask for accountability and set expectations. This is what we signed up for. And now, we must prove our worth.

Rant, rant, rant, rant. Do your job. Don't be pitiful.

Dueces.

No comments:

Post a Comment