Wednesday, January 26, 2011

State of the Union

I was not able to watch the State of the Union because of a basketball game last night, but I have been reading up on it today. I like that Obama talked quite a bit about education and gave some simple and aggressive facts to stir the pot. Hopefully this has an effect on education over the coming years.

This Wall Street Journal article has the speech rated at an A thus far, which I was surprised by. Obama has been receiving a lot of flak over the past year and I thought that would definitely transfer into some editorialized negativity the day after such an impactful speech.

I particularly enjoyed this section:
In South Korea, teachers are known as “nation builders.” Here in America, it’s time we treated the people who educate our children with the same level of respect. We want to reward good teachers and stop making excuses for bad ones. And over the next ten years, with so many Baby Boomers retiring from our classrooms, we want to prepare 100,000 new teachers in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and math. 

Although I don't plan on being one of those 100,000 teachers, it's a great thing to hear that we are making a call to action. Loved this thought overall. Is it even possible to hire that many teachers? Yikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment