Saturday, November 6, 2010

Grading

Grading can become one of the most overwhelming tasks of teaching. I try to give a quiz every day to assess where my students are in the class, and to give them an incentive to pay attention the day before/do their homework the night before. It has really started to work, but dang, I have SO MUCH to grade. This weekend I had a stack of papers (that I just finished) that was about 4 inches tall of single sheets. Yikes!

It took me about 2 hours to grade all of it, but I am still pretty happy I did it. I've seen a definite change from last year, where I would give an assessment at the end of a book and find out 1/2 never even read. Now I know exactly who doesn't read, and can individually "plan" with them aka tell them to freaking read.

Happy teaching! One of the only professions in the world that you always have more work to do at home and on the weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment