Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Sometimes there's highs, sometimes there's lows. This is a low.

Two days before the school year is over. Two days. I had a high today. I had a low today. Unfortunately, I am letting the low effect me much more. And I don't know why. So, hopefully writing about it will alleviate some of the stress and sadness I am feeling. I feel really sad. I wish I didn't.

First, the high:

I gave out student surveys today and reviewed their progress towards goal. Overall, as an 11th grade (not AP students) we improved 1.7 years in reading (YAY!!), 8% in ACT Writing (decent), and 3 points on the ACT Reading section (YAY!!). I gave each student their scores and showed them their improvement, and then they did a reflection on it. I had AMAZING responses from students about where they want to go, what they want to do, and what they are thankful. And I don't understand why I can't be happy -- because so many of them said THANK YOU  and LOVE YOU on their surveys. So reflective, so thankful, and so loving.

But, then I get a message on facebook from one of my students in 10th grade. She says, "Ms. Butla, saw this on fbook, thought you'd like to see it."

Why do you think I would want to see this? You didn't. You sent this to me to make me upset.

Why do kids do this kind of stuff? To be mean? To have some type of control? I don't know, but it has me feeling like complete shit. Why does this have more of an effect on me then the above mentioned surveys? I don't understand.
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Keep your head up CBB!! So many people love you! Including me!

    ReplyDelete