Monday, May 16, 2011

ACT Academy, Part II

Earlier this year we had our juniors apply to the ACT Academy, a week long program at the University of Arkansas-Fayetteville. The program is twofold, first the student has an awesome opportunity to practice for the ACT with trained professionals who offer advice on testing strategy and provide familiarity with the test. Second, the program is so great for our students especially, simply because of the opportunity to get a paid visit to Fayetteville. Out of the 15 students that were accepted this year, only one of our students has ever been to Fayetteville, even though it is the most successful college in Arkansas, in a pretty mountainous area, and is a great city.

As I mentioned we have quite a few students attending this year. The fee this year was $75, but we were able to drop it down to $40 because all of our students are on free and reduced lunch. To make up the difference we are going to be holding a fundraiser this Friday by having a junior class vs. faculty basketball game. We will be doing some fun things during halftime to hopefully get some more money as well. I hope it all works out. I am really proud of this group, one said they didn't want to attend, but the rest are pumped. They were excited to hear their names on the announcements, excited for this fundraiser (their idea), and just so excited for the opportunity.

I am happy that even though I am leaving, I am still having an impact on these kids. I think that the ACT is such an important part of this experience. It something I held onto and something that I used to invest, inspire, and motivate my students. I hope that as I transition into the RGV that this is something I can inspire my corps members with as well. And, most importantly, I hope it's something my kids will continue to work on after I leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment