Sunday, May 1, 2011

Closing Up Shop

Time is running down. Only 6 more weeks in my commitment to Teach for America. How does it feel? I really can't believe we're already two years past college, two years past living in the South, two years teaching in a classroom. It has really made me think about how people make it through this experience.

To be thrown into a classroom without much training, in a place you've never been before, with people you've only just met ... and all in a failing school. What makes us push through that experience? How does Teach for America truly select people that will succeed through that experience? Or even, how do they select people that will simply last the two years? I have much respect for this organization and their ability to figure information that like out. Obviously there are some mistakes they make, but overall, with a 90% retention rate in the program nationally, they are doing pretty damn well.

When I think about why I've made it - I don't really know. What are the qualities that I exemplified that made them think I'd make it? Maybe my competitiveness or intense disinterest in failing anything. As I transition away from the Delta and into the Rio Grande Valley, I think it will be interesting to see what I identify in CMs as they push through their first and second year.

As for these next few weeks, I've got a lot of loose ends to tie up in Arkansas. Then, deuces.

No comments:

Post a Comment