Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Avoiding...

You know when you had that midterm in college or that awkward phone call to make...and you found absolutely everything to do before completing the one inevitable task? Yah. My usual practices are; going for a run, well then I need to shower, and I can't start working until my room is cleaned, but then once it's cleaned....I should relax for awhile in it! So, maybe onto a book or going on the computer for awhile.

All of these things have been accomplished in the last 2 days! And yes, I am owning up to it. I finished two books already. First was "A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier," the second, "One Day, All Children." Both were great books. The first was an intense narrative about a boy's journey through adolescence and civil unrest in Africa. The second was a book written by Wendy Kopp, the founder of Teach for America. Now, as I reflect- it's a bit ironic that I am procrastinating on work for my classroom as a corps member of Teach for America, by reading a book about the struggles of Teach for America. Yah. That's why I realized my fault. Ha.

After finishing the book I did in fact clean my room, including organizing my clothes by color, doing a load of laundry, and other various tasks. Well, then I was dirty so it was shower time. After that...the World Cup of course! And then? I needed to get new tennis shoes so I can start running again (not in basketball shoes!!). Ah, well it's important to get the right tennis shoes, so that took 2 hours. Obviously after that it was time to break in those shoes, so I went for a 4 mile run! You know... because I've done that so often this summer (not). It was death. And that death meant no more work for the night. And here I am- 11:57 Tuesday night, no work done on my long term plan or unit plans for the day.

HEY I did do a long term plan for 11th grade yesterday though. And started mapping out the unit for it? Good, baby steps, good! And, on a positive note I found out I am allowed to teach my 11th grade books to my 10th graders, just applying their standards. Which means I will still only need to teach one novel at a time, a great thing for my focus! So that does eliminate some work for me. Which means (since I found that out today) by default I got work done? Weak argument, but I'll accept it tonight.

Tomorrow....tomorrow is going to be a big day. After the USA World Cup game.......

No comments:

Post a Comment