Thursday, July 16, 2009

Meeting My Colleagues!

It has been a busy last few days! It doesn't seem to ever slow down at all. We traveled to Arkansas on Tuesday night and got right to work. Wednesday I toured some homes in S, AR and then went to C for my meeting with the staff.

I will officially be teaching 11th grade English and one section of journalism. The journalism course is an elective, so it will be a class that students signed up to take specifically, which I am really excited about! A few great things about my school:

1. There is only about 50 students per-grade, and therefor I will only be teaching classes of about 10-20 (20 being highly unlikely)
2. The school is on an outdoor campus, so I get to see sunshine during the day
3. There are 4 other Teach for America teachers at my school!! Yay!
4. There is a football stadium...right outside! So I can watch practice and stay for games.
5. I am the senior-girls basketball and softball coach!! I am so excited to get a workout and hang out with the students not in the classroom
6. I have to get my CDL TO DRIVE A SCHOOL BUS!!!! HAHA I am getting a commercial drivers license...to drive a school bus. Ridiculoussss
7. The school is brick and aesthetically pleasing, which is nice!
8. The staff is great! They were so friendly and showed us around for 3-4 hours. They went out of their way to find us resources and our objectives, etc.
9. Every classroom as a Smartboard!
10. I met some of the cheerleaders and they seem engaged and super excited about school.

Anyway, it's been a busy few days. We haven't found housing yet which is a little nerve racking, but I think it will all work out well. There's not too much housing in this part of the Delta, so it's been slim pickings. Everything will fall in place though. We're staying in Marianna, AR right now and have been going to lots of bbq's and social gatherings. It's great to meet the rest of the community, I hope that we all stay close in the next two years, even though we'll be over an hour away. Ahhh, I am going to go take a nap! :)

I am heading home to Wisconsin tomorrow morning, can't wait to see my family and friends!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you. You're a great role model :) Except on boat trips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CBB - Your mom sent me a link to your blog. You did some work for me in her school's elementary IMC several years ago. You will LOVE the SmartBoard! If you can get hold of Senteo Clickers for your classroom, you'll be able to add another interactive layer to your teaching.

    This is math - but it's a good example.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05EGhR1zNXw

    Hope you're enjoying Wisconsin. Think we hit a record low yesterday. I'm off for a bike ride! JStringer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Thank you! I have never seen that before, and those seem like a great option. I will have to talk to my Supervisor! Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed your blog! I'm glad you're back in action. The Delta sounds really cool so far.

    Crossing my fingers for a SmartBoard...

    ReplyDelete